PROMPT:

1. What kind of interaction would the video require from your students? Does it force them to respond in some way (inherent)?
  2. In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?
  3. What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?
  4. How much work for you would that activity cause? Would the work be both manageable and worthwhile? Could the activity be scaled for larger numbers of students?

I really liked this video because of the straight to the point, easy to follow design. The video essentially laid out the importance of nutrients and then dived right into the different food groups/essential nutrients. I feel this video because it was explained in a way for children, that all learners would have to do to interact with the video is listen and pay attention! The video provides all of narrative, simple text, and visuals which makes it inclusive for all learners. The student may respond by taking simple notes of the texts written down (i.e. the 6 essential nutrients). If I were to play this video in my future elementary classroom, I feel that a good activity I could do afterward is bring in photos of different foods to the class and ask the children to create a poster by gluing each food photo under the nutrient category it belongs to. For example, a photo of butter would be placed under the “fat” category. This type of activity could help the students to develop their visual cues while associating it with their verbal cues. I feel this activity would not be too much work for either the educator or the learner, and it is a great way to get the kids physically learning. Another idea could be to allow the kids to work in groups and complete the assignment together. This idea is extremely valuable to allow interaction, inclusion, and diversity between all students. Not only could this help to improve a students social skill in a learning environment, but also they will learn to bounce ideas off of one another, ideas that they may have not thought of to begin with; this will help to build their imagination and creativity in learning. This activity would probably work best either solo, in pairs, or a group of 4. However, once there are more than 4 people in the group, I feel this activity could get extremely overwhelming, especially for younger students/learners.

Food Groups and Nutrition. YouTube. (2020, October 20). Retrieved June 19, 2022, from https://youtu.be/Z51bWG17m-Q